Monday, June 1, 2009

My metal mouth

My teeth feel loose! I do not remember feeling that last time I had braces. I guess it makes sense, as they are moving around. My bottom teeth are already almost straight, and it has only been 6 weeks! But I have one tooth that honestly feels like it might come out next time I chew on an ultimate grilled cheese panini. Very strange sensation. Uhhhnnt like it.

Every time I catch a glimpse of my braces in a mirror, I can't believe I did this to myself. They are seriously ugly. Combine that with the acne and the Coke-bottle-bottom glasses (my allergies are so bad, I can't put my contacts in), and I've got the whole junior high nightmare going on. Awesome.

I started getting worried about my lack of fruit and vegetable intake since I got braces. When I eat vegetables, I only ever eat them raw. Most raw veggies happen to be off-limits for braces wearers, as are apples. So for the last couple of weeks, I have been drinking a super smoothie most mornings. My own special recipe.


This makes enough for two big smoothies:

2 cups V8 fusion fruit/vegetable juice
1 cup fat-free, low-sugar yogurt
2 Tbsp. milled flax seed
1 banana
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 generous handful baby spinach

Doesn't it sound and look DELICIOUS? Blech! I always let the blender run on liquefy for several minutes, until no trace of spinach can be detected. Actually, it really is yummy (even my kids like it), and I feel like I'm doing something good for myself when I drink it. I mean, a smoothie and three cookies is a much better breakfast than six cookies, right? : )

5 comments:

Heather said...

Yum! You could add some Whey powder and get some more protein in it too.

Jenny said...

Will you wear your glasses to book club tonight, please?!

Melissa said...

I thought you looked great at book club! At least you looked like the youngest person there! LOL!

Probably better than six cookies. If I'd known about this last night I would have arranged to come swap smoothie this morning for chocolate cake, because smoothies and a small piece of leftover cake has to be better for breakfast than a big piece of leftover cake! :0)

Suzie said...

heheee. You should moonlight as a comedian. Seriously.
At least you're writing a book, right? I have a mental image of book cover photo.

The State of Our Family said...

I hope your teeth feel better by the time we go out to Zupa's next week! :)