Friday, June 26, 2009

Messy, messy, messy

Does anyone know what show I'm quoting in the title of this post? My money is on Alison. She and I have the most shared childhood memories, except I'm still 95% sure she made up or maybe dreamed that weird lizard/baby show she talks about, because I don't remember it at all.

Anyway, the title is because for Fun Friday today, we went to Farm Country, which is actually a nice, clean place except for where the animals are, but it got me thinking about how life is messy. Sometimes very messy. And as I was wandering around with my kids, looking at and smelling the mess, I pondered. The first thing I pondered as I stepped gingerly around the mess, with my quads and glutes protesting mightily, was why on EARTH I added walking lunges back into my workout. Ouch, ouch, ouch! Note to self: SQUATS. More squats. Forget the lunges, forever.

The second thing I pondered was the meaning of various horse terms, and I felt bad for the geldings, because I bet no one asked them their opinion on the procedure. And I thought maybe there are some humans who should be gelded. Just an idea.

But back to the real issue. I pondered. . . If I could choose between a nice, simple life if it meant living on a stinky, dirty farm, or my actual life, which is usually lived in a mostly clean, tidy house (this is not based on its condition at this moment) but where I have no control over numerous other messy items, which would I choose? Not that I think people who live on farms have lives that are tidy in every other way, but it just got me thinking. If I could choose one type of mess, which would it be? Anyone want to weigh in on the topic?

On to our Fun Friday . . .

We usually leave early, so we get to wherever we're going the minute it opens, so as to avoid the rush of people who come later, perhaps because they are actually capable of sleeping in on summer Fridays. But today Seth was at Cub Scout day camp, so the rest of us enjoyed a lazy morning and waited for him to get home before we started our official Fun Friday.

When Seth walked in the door, he announced, Okay, Mom! There are three reasons it was a great day. #1. I got to shoot a BB gun. (BB gun actions and sound effects.) #2. I got to shoot a bow and arrow, and it was awesome even though I thought it would be a crossbow but it was just a regular bow. (Bow and arrow actions and sound effects.) And #3. I took my money to the trading post and . . . . I . . . . got . . . a . . . . pocketknife!! (Slashing actions and sound effects.)

So now that it was time to get going, we decided on Farm Country at Thanksgiving Point. I only had to bribe two of the four boys with the promise of JCW's shakes afterwards to get everyone in the van with moderately good attitudes. Fabulous. But once we got there, we all had so much fun! I don't even remember ANY fighting or arguing the rest of the afternoon. Wow.

It was an absolutely perfect day -- 75 degrees and partly cloudy. We got weighed on the big scale, to see what animals we compared with. We fed the llamas, cows, and donkey. There is a sign by the donkey that says, "Watch out! I bite!" Caleb said, "Mom, I feel really sorry for the person that is the reason they decided they needed to put up that sign." LOL! Luke, Seth, and Caleb enjoyed pony rides. The albino peacock squawked (or yelped or something) right in our faces.

When we were ready to go, we washed and washed our hands and then headed to JCW's for shakes. My kids love our new Garmin nuvi and Caleb had lots of fun trying to get it to direct us the half mile to JCW's when we didn't know the address. I always feel a little guilty for driving right past Iceberg on the way to JCW's. I realize I am betraying the shakes of my youth, but can you really blame me? Oh, and you know what? Shakes are messy too, but in a really good way.

And now the photos:

Nathan weighs as much as I do. Seth is so skinny, but I'm feeding him when I remember, I promise!


Only ONE boy in a BYU shirt today?!? I'm so ashamed. At least Nathan helped redeem us with his hat. By the way, Caleb's shirt says, "TENNIS. Eat fuzz."


Luke started out by shuddering and saying, "I'm scared to ride the horses." But he was easily convinced that it was fun. Seth got really daring and rode without holding on.

Caleb: "Aaaaahhh!" Nathan: "Help us!" Seth: "I'm innocent!" Luke: "My brothers are LOUD."


Luke showing that he still has all his fingers.


Ewww.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Frosty the Snowman... no contest.

Looks like you guys had tons of fun! Maybe we'll take Katie and Emily tomorrow!

Melissa said...

Looks like lots of fun! And yes, generally speaking life is messy - no matter where you live. And just so you know that Alison is not crazy (and to show how pathetic I am to remember this) the lizard baby movie was actually the TV miniseries of "V" which stood for victory. The alien and the human had twins: one lizard baby that died, and one human girl with only a lizard tongue. Like I said, pathetic. I watched the movie WAY too many times as a youth, while eating Iceberg shakes that I now pass over for JCW's shakes! :0)