Friday, May 29, 2009

We love our teachers!

Do you like how Nathan's teacher is smaller than her 6th graders? These two anyway, LOL! Nathan knew he was going to like Mrs. Elison as soon as we walked into her room on Back-to-School Night last August. She loves astronomy, just like Nathan. When he saw all the space stuff up in her classroom, he turned around with big eyes and said, "Mom! She likes SPACE!" Definitely a kindred spirit.

All of the boys had best friends in their classes with them this year. Nathan will tell you (with full drama) that he waited for SIX YEARS to be in the same class with Landon. They have been best buds since they were preschool age. Every year they hoped they would be together, only to be disappointed when the class lists were posted. But it finally happened this year, yay! They had a great year together. And next year they'll be locker-mates at the junior high, excellent!

Here is Caleb with Miss DeWitt and his friends Bradley and Easton. Miss DeWitt got the district Teacher of the Year award this year. She really is so amazing. I have heard parents say it doesn't even matter if kids go into 4th grade a little behind, because Miss DeWitt will get them caught right up. Caleb gets very attached to his teachers, and he has been emotional today, thinking about how much he is going to miss Miss DeWitt.

Bless Mrs. Short! Here she is on the last day of school, with Seth and Easton (and Luke), four days past her due date. She even danced with her class in the dance festival on Wednesday. She is an absolute doll! Caleb was in her class the year she got married, and Seth has been with her this year, while she's expecting her first baby. She isn't coming back to teaching after her baby is born, and our school is truly losing a gem.

In Mrs. Short's classroom, she really focuses on teaching the kids to feel good about themselves and to respect and treat each other well. Every morning at the class "morning meeting," her students say this together:

We are special.
We are smart.
We can learn.
Our teacher loves us.

As a parent, I can't explain what it means to me to send my kids to school every morning, knowing that their teachers are not only truly teaching them, but also caring about them and watching out for them. Thanks to all you teachers out there! : )

3 comments:

lisa said...

Diane- You made me cry! Teaching, for the most part, just like mothering is such a thankless job. I know you weren't referring to this teacher but that people would read how you feel about your childrens' teachers makes me feel like maybe, just maybe someone out there may feel a little thankful for me as their child's teacher. Thank You! I have to tell you that I read your blog often and I think you are an amazing person! I don't have any idea what is going on in your life but I can tell you are an amazing mom and such an awesome person, even more so than all throughout your growing up years, and that's saying a lot because you have always been someone most people would love to just try to be sometime in their life. Thank you again. Take care, Lisa Geldmacher feel free to come over to my blog sometime too. lisasblissfulchaos.blogspot.com

The State of Our Family said...

What a great idea! I love how you did this post. I am WAY impressed with the teacher who is four days past her due date and still smiling! :) They all seem fantastic!!!

Jenny said...

Awesome teachers! Please don't talk about Nathan going to JR. High. It makes me sick.