Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Gift

If any of you have heard me talk about my boys, you already know what a great kid Nathan is. A dream oldest child. Obedient. Cheerful. Helpful. Hardworking. Peacemaking. Thoughtful. Conscientious. And on top of all of that, he is incredibly intelligent and enormously funny.

The name Nathan means gift, and he has truly been a gift to his mother. Now, this does not mean he is perfect. But he is close enough. I think I'll keep him.

When I was pregnant with Luke and found out it was another boy, I thought (among myriad other things), "Four missionaries!" Today was an important step toward that becoming a reality when Nathan was ordained a deacon. He's going to be mad at me for this, but I think he looks devilishly handsome in his new suit.

By the way, I tied his tie myself. I didn't even look up any instructions. I have no recollection of how I acquired this skill. Very curious. I guess the next step is teaching him to tie it himself, huh? LOL! I just wanted to see if I could do it once. It wasn't perfect, but I was quite pleased.

I'm proud of you, Nathan!

Nathan, the new missionary ....errr.... deacon

Four future missionaries

10 comments:

Heather said...

What a wonderful post! You've got great boys and they've got a great Mom!

The Laurence Family said...

A very handsome crew! By the way, Melissa shared some of the bundt cake with me. Wow!

lisa said...

Diane, You should be pretty proud of such a great accomplishment for your Nathan. I have a Nathan too! I hope he makes the same decisions to be a great barer of the name, Gift. Thanks for always brightening my day. Lisa Geldmacher

nancy said...

Nathan looks very handsome! Congratulations!

Ryan said...

Nathan's glasses look fantastic. Oh, and the suit is nice too. :)

Melissa said...

Excellent work on the tie! I guess that's why I got three girls; as bad as I am at doing girly hair, I'd be worse at tying ties!

I'm so proud of Nathan. He truly is an amazing young man and it's been a pleasure watching him grow up.

Jenny said...

He does look handsome. I'm glad that you were there to tie his tie!

Wendy said...

I can't believe how grown up all of your boys look!

Sharon said...

Sorry I'm commenting on this post so late. The picture of Nathan makes me teary-eyed. So grown up and so handsome!

The Poulson Family said...

Wow! I can't believe Nathan is 12. Anthony is just around the corner. My, they do grow up so fast.