Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm funny too!

In the spirit of being a fair mom (and following orders), I wanted to post about how funny Caleb is. Here are some of my all-time favorite comments of his from our funny journal:

Nathan asked me what kind of food is best to eat when you're sick. I said I guess it depends what kind of sick you are. Caleb said, "Okay, let's say Lyme Disease."

When the boys come in the door after walking home from school, I often say, "Here comes trouble!" But sometimes I say, "Here comes . . ." and wait for them to finish it. One day, Nathan walked in first and I said, "Here comes . . ." And he promptly answered, "Trouble." Caleb was a minute behind, and when I said it to him, "Here comes . . ." He said, "Trouble's brother!"

After watching Napoleon Dynamite, Caleb told me in a goofy voice, "Mom, you go to college."

A girl at school told Caleb she is smarter than him. Caleb said, "Oh yeah? What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

When Luke was a baby, he was very, very fussy. After he got out of that stage a little bit, the boys and I were talking about how much nicer it was now that Luke was happier. Caleb said, "Mom, I think Luke evolved."

Nathan had already read our family read-aloud book, and he knew we were coming to an exciting part. He wanted to show us he was excited but didn't want to give anything away, so he said, "Oooh! Here comes the next part!" It was quiet for a few seconds and then Caleb said, "No duh, Nathan."

When we were reading in 1st Nephi each night, Caleb kept coming up with plans to help Nephi. "I want to go back in time with a machine gun and MAKE Laban give Nephi the plates." And my favorite: "I want to go back in time with a copy machine and TONS of paper, and make so many copies of the Book of Mormon that Nephi wouldn't have to engrave two sets of plates."

There was a baby blessing in our ward, and the baby's name was Coco. After the blessing, Caleb whispered to me, "Mom, I never knew Coco could be a name. I think Coco is kind of like Seven." (I'm so glad I'm teaching my children well, and that they can relate Seinfeld to sacrament meeting.)

In the summer, Caleb's arms get very, very tan. One summer day when he was getting dressed, he came running out to show me his tan arms against his white belly and chest. He said, "Mom, look! I'm like a Nephite AND a Lamanite!"

One night, it was Caleb's turn to say our family prayer, but he was in a grumpy mood. To try and cheer him up, we were copying Calvin and Hobbes and saying "I am trapped in slow motion," talking and moving very slowly. Then Seth changed it to "I am trapped in fall motion," and kept falling down. Finally, Caleb started laughing. After he said the prayer, I whispered to him, "You are trapped in prayer motion." He said, "Actually, I think Enos was trapped in prayer motion."

On Caleb's baptism day, he said, "Mom, before you are confirmed, you can hear the Holy Ghost, but after you are confirmed, you can hear it better. It's like you upgrade a level."

I got Luke's breakfast smoothie ready but then without thinking, I put it in front of Seth. When I realized what I had done, I said, "Seth, look what I gave you." Caleb said, "And look what you gave me, Mom." He was pushing his whole wheat toast away, trying to pretend like I gave it to him accidentally. Nice try, Caleb, LOL!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I think Caleb is a very funny fellow - and smart too to come up with the Enos comment!

Jenny said...

I'm rolling!

The State of Our Family said...

You have your own improv team living with you! I have two favorites--the Lyme Disease one and (of course) the time traveling one!