My Grandad Simmonds died early this morning. Last fall, he was diagnosed with advanced mesothelioma, cancer of the pleural lining. It was caused by asbestos from the Navy ships he served on for many years. He died two days after his 87th birthday. While I know his passing is a blessing, somehow the world seems to be a less cheery place today.My mom got a call on the morning of the 4th of July that Grandad had taken a turn for the worse. She was on her way to England by that afternoon. (Just like a Brit, to return to the homeland on America's Independence Day.) I'm so glad she is there with her brother and sisters, and that she was there with her dad at the end.
Grandad lived a long, amazing, incredible life. He was a commander in the British Royal Navy; he served in several wars. He oversaw cleanup after the atomic bombs were dropped on Japan at the end of World War II. He served at the Suez Canal. He really traveled the world. He had seemingly endless energy, right up through last year. In his youth, he was an amazing rugby player and a track star. He was a King Scout (British equivalent of an Eagle Scout). He was extremely organized, and loved to be in charge of everything!
I had never met Grandad in person until I was 31 years old! In the spring of 2005, I went to England with my mom and Ryan & Stefanie. I was pregnant with Luke at the time, and as soon as I found out we were having another boy, I decided his middle name would have to be Simmonds. Grandad was thrilled to see pictures of Luke Simmonds Chatwin. He loved having his name live on "on the other side of the pond." I went back to England last year with Susan and Alison, and we have precious memories of that time with Grandad.
Grandad was quite the charmer, and he had a super soft spot for his granddaughters. He treated us like queens! All of our hearts are aching today. He thrived on being the center of attention and had the funniest sense of humor. He loved to tell stories about his life, and the stories got more dramatic and embellished with each retelling. He always got dressed up and looking "very smart" before we went out. He was a true British gentleman.
I'm so thankful for the memories I have of Grandad. Good-bye, Grandad. I love you and will miss you!
Grandad thought it was hilarious to get his picture taken under this sign. Over the years, he took many family members to the town of Stamford and walked up the hill, past the shops, to pose underneath this sign. I took this pic in June 2005.
When we visited the Nene Valley Railway Station, it was closed because they were filming a TV detective show there. Grandad insisted that I have a picture with the "real Thomas," because my boys loved Thomas and all the engines. Well, you don't argue with Commander Simmonds. So we walked right past the security and all the cameras, and while everyone else stayed up on a bridge, Grandad talked me into sneaking down and standing by Thomas for a picture.
4 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear that Diane. I know how much he meant to you.
Thanks a lot. I had finally stopped crying. LOL!
I love your stories about Granddad. Thanks for sharing.
Oh Diane, I'm so sorry! Those Englishmen are so amazing and I know how hard it is to lose a Grandad who you've had far too little time with. What a blessing that you had two opportunities over the past four years to build that relationship! My thoughts are with you and your family. Thanks for sharing your sweet memories!
Diane I am so sorry for the loss of your Granddad. I know he meant a lot to you. He sounded like such a great man. I hope all is well with you and your family. Tell your mom I am sorry for her loss also.
Post a Comment