Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring Break, Day the First

Our Thanksgiving Point membership expires on Saturday, perfect timing to finish getting our money's worth while the boys are out of school this week. Phase 1 of spring break included the beautiful Thanksgiving Point gardens with Sharon and Katie. With the three boys sitting together in the back seat of the van, the drive over sounded something like this:

Let's play I Spy.
Yeah!
Okay!
I'll go first. I spy something that is green.
Grass?
Nope.
Trees?
Nope.
Leaves?
Nope.
Plants?
Nope.
I can't think of anything else.
Neither can I.
It was a bright green sign. Okay, you guys didn't guess it. My turn again.
No it's not! It's my turn.
No, you only get a turn if you guess it. If nobody guesses it, then it's my turn again.
That's not fair! We need to take turns.
That's not how you play. It's my turn again.
We don't want to play it your way.
Too bad, those are the real rules of I Spy.
Who says those are the real rules? That's not how we want to play.
Well, it's my turn. I spy. . . .
I don't WANT to play it like that.
Me neither! We have to rotate turns.
You get a turn only if you guess it. You didn't guess it.
That's not fair! Why did YOU get to go first?
Yeah, you will just keep doing super hard stuff and then we'll never get a turn.

So that lasted until we got there. But Sharon and I learned something -- after three boys spend an hour or two walking up and down hills, stairs, and trails, the ride home is MUCH more peaceful. Heat exhaustion can actually be a tender mercy, LOL! Enjoy some pics of our fun afternoon.

Pondering whether this chair was really meant for three people.

Feeding fish crackers to the fish. Quote of the day from Nathan:
"Oh, the irony! The irony of fish eating fish with a cheesy flavoring."

My photographic masterpiece: "Boy Pouting on Bench."

A rare moment when both toddlers wanted to sit in the stroller at the same time.

Nathan very obligingly giving his mom a lift. When I returned the favor and gave Nathan a piggyback ride, Caleb said, "Nathan! That's no way to treat a lady!"

Enjoying the waterfall amphitheatre.

Katie's stance while she pointed out the "waterfallcean," a mix of waterfall and ocean. Cutie!

2 comments:

The State of Our Family said...

Your vivid memory of their conversation baffles my mind! It sounds so similar to a conversation I've heard in MY car!

The Wallis Family said...

Your kids are getting so big! We miss seeing you guys every so often