Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Heart Full of Love

No, this post is not about Les Mis. Warning: A more serious topic today, so you can skip it if you're not interested, LOL! I have been studying different attributes of the Savior, so that I can know Him better, and hopefully be more like Him. Well, here is my small, likely misguided insight into the secret of life.

Wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love. . . And except they should have charity they were nothing. . . And charity is everlasting love. . . And except ye have charity ye can in nowise be saved in the kingdom of God.

And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.


Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail -- But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

So then, maybe the secret of life is to pray for a heart filled with charity, to honestly desire and strive and pray that we might truly feel the pure love of Christ for others. Because maybe the most important thing in this life is how we treat each other.

Obviously, the trick is to have charity in your heart toward someone when you don't feel like it -- maybe someone who just bugs you, or maybe someone who hurt you intentionally, or maybe someone who hurt you unintentionally, saying or doing something with good intentions, when they thought they knew enough about your situation to get involved, but in reality, they really know very little about it.

I subscribe to the LDS Gems emails. Yesterday, the message was titled, "Love, the Defining Quality." It was all about charity. Elder Wirthlin said, "The Savior exemplified that love and taught it even as He was tormented by those who despised and hated Him."

So maybe we learn a lesson to have charity for those who wrong us. And maybe we remember to be kinder than necessary, because in reality, we don't know the full situation of those around us.

I have always been a super defensive person, often too quick to judge, too quick to speak, and way too often I inevitably say the wrong thing. Or I guess I should say, I USED to be like that, but not anymore, right? LOL! All the more reason for me to have charity toward someone else who might misjudge or say the wrong thing, right?

So that's my thought for the day. I'm sorry if I have done anything that was hurtful. I want to do better. There is so much hurt in the world. I just want everyone to love each other! You know, world peace and all that. But I do want to include one exception -- I'm sure we don't need to have charity toward Kobe Bryant. No one would be expected to feel that. JK!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow. You don't know how much I need that in my life right now. You are amazing. You are such an example to me. You're the best!

Melissa said...

I like the deep thinking you - it works well. I have loved the verse about what charity is (not puffed up, seeketh not her own)ever since I got married because it was the epitomy of a perfect partnership - two people with charity towards each other.

So the funny thing is I took a personality test this morning and one of my highest percentage differences was between "judging and perceptive." Bet you'll never guess which was high and which was low! Guess I have a ways to go - LOL! Thanks for brining some deep thinking and motivation into my life today!